CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pay4Surf

SEARCH YOUR INFORMATION :

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Raymond To Take Year Off From WNBA

UNCASVILLE, Conn. (April 21, 2009) – Citing a need to focus on her duties as an assistant coach with the University of Kansas women’s basketball program, Connecticut Sun forward Tamika Raymond announced today she will be taking a year off from the WNBA.

“I really enjoyed last year with the Sun,” Raymond said in a statement Tuesday. “It was great playing in front of the Connecticut fans again, and everything about the organization lived up to my expectations. But while I would love to return for another season with the Sun, my duties as an assistant coach at Kansas will make that impossible. With the WNBA season starting later this year, and the Sun likely to make another trip to the playoffs, I would probably miss a significant amount of time from my job at Kansas, and that is not acceptable. I wish the Sun good luck this season, and will be cheering them on.”

Raymond became a member of the Sun last March 14th, traded from the Minnesota Lynx in exchange for Kristen Rasmussen. The former UConn star appeared in all 34 games for Connecticut, giving the Sun a physical veteran post player who provided valuable minutes off the bench. She was second on the team in offensive rebounds with 48.

“I understand why she’s doing it,” Sun coach Mike Thibault said. “I wish she was able to play this year, but her coaching career, long-term, has to be looked out for, and she’s in a great situation in Kansas. She’s got a great future ahead of her. We’re going to miss the leadership she brought to our team last year, and we’re going to have to find a way to replace it.”

Source From : WNBA.com

0 comments: